The culinary traveller

The culinary traveller
Enjoying a beavertail...the official treat of Canada's capital city!!!

Welcome to my blog all you food and wine lovers!!!!

Ottawa isn't always the first place people think of when it comes to good eats and tempting beverages....they are wrong!!! I've been told by many people I have a great palete and true sense of curiosity, adventure and passion for food. Join me on my culinary travels around this city, to find the best places to eat including the real hidden gems to explore on the food front that the Nation's capital has to offer!!! I am very honest in my opinion on food experiences and open to comments from the peanut gallery out there on what other people love as well. Please enjoy!!! I hope this information is helpful!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Pho....sure!!!

Who doesn't love Pho these days...the cheap and healthy Vietnamese soups and noodles that really are flavourful and filling!!! For me the dish I love the most is called Bun....it's a big bowl of noodles, with grilled meats, fresh chopped veggies, like lettuce, carrots, cucumbers with chopped peanuts, sometimes bean sprouts. It also comes with fish sauce to pour over the top of it all. I like to personalize mine by adding hoison sauce and some hot sauce too.

I can't believe how affordable most dishes are-usually under 10 dollars. You can't really buy the ingredients and make it at home for much less. I've tried...it also didn't really taste the same.

Another treat I love when going for Vietnamese is the salad roll-rice paper that's see through and delicate wrapped around noodles, veggies, shrimp or chicken. It comes with a side of peanut sauce for dipping...fantastic!!!

Then finally Pho (often times the centre dish that these style of restaurants are focused on) a delicious broth with a variety of meats and veggies added into it to create a tasty soup (often thin sliced meat is served seperate from the broth, for you to add to the broth at your table, it cooks when added in.) My favourite of these soups, includes a wonton like dumpling.

If you haven't done it already...go for Pho or any Vietnamese dish at a spot near you....this variety of food is really taking off in recent years and for very good reason!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment