The culinary traveller

The culinary traveller
Enjoying a beavertail...the official treat of Canada's capital city!!!

Welcome to my blog all you food and wine lovers!!!!

Ottawa isn't always the first place people think of when it comes to good eats and tempting beverages....they are wrong!!! I've been told by many people I have a great palete and true sense of curiosity, adventure and passion for food. Join me on my culinary travels around this city, to find the best places to eat including the real hidden gems to explore on the food front that the Nation's capital has to offer!!! I am very honest in my opinion on food experiences and open to comments from the peanut gallery out there on what other people love as well. Please enjoy!!! I hope this information is helpful!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Bubble Tea.....the Tiawanese treat!

So Bubble Tea has taken over most Canadian cities by now. Some people, very few I would assume (i.e. my mom who lives in a small town would be one of those) that still are not in the know on what this is. Years back, it was only in some pockets of the country where a larger Asian population exists i.e. Vancouver, Toronto....now it's definitely here to stay in most places including Ottawa and very easily accessible especially on Somerset (Chinatown).

I have been a big fan of this delicious drink for a long-long time, when I first sampled it in University (I'm not going to say exactly when that was, I don't want to date myself!) I will say, I didn't go to University here but in Kingston, so it had even come to smaller towns as of then. For me it was an acquired experience. Initially it's kind of odd to have tapioca balls (i.e. the bubbles) or anything else that can be added i.e. jelly chunks etc. to a drink! But once you get past that and discover how tasty it is, it opens up a whole new world of beverages to experience.

For me, there are some staples I always seem to get because you can never go wrong, and I've tried a lot of flavours, please note, I always opt for the bubbles to be added to any of these choices. Though if you are less daring and just want a drink without anything more solid in it, if the textures freaks you out, then you can get these sans bubbles. For those new to this, you are given a large, wide straw to drink up the tapioca (in case you were wondering how it all works!!!):

1. On a super hot day (like today) I will get the slush option, my favorite hands down is blueberry.
2. Milk black tea with almond or coconut flavouring.
3. Milk green tea with honeydew or green apple.
4. A milk slush in red bean or taro or coffee.

Apparently new flavours are often coming out too, like recently lavender and champagne, haven't tried these yet myself. Most of the time the fruit and flavourings taste very natural. Some places make them with more natural syrups versus powders and artifical flavouring-which of course, I'd opt for if you can.

I say try it if you haven't already...it will be well worth it, event just to say you have!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment