The culinary traveller

The culinary traveller
Enjoying a beavertail...the official treat of Canada's capital city!!!

Welcome to my blog all you food and wine lovers!!!!

Ottawa isn't always the first place people think of when it comes to good eats and tempting beverages....they are wrong!!! I've been told by many people I have a great palete and true sense of curiosity, adventure and passion for food. Join me on my culinary travels around this city, to find the best places to eat including the real hidden gems to explore on the food front that the Nation's capital has to offer!!! I am very honest in my opinion on food experiences and open to comments from the peanut gallery out there on what other people love as well. Please enjoy!!! I hope this information is helpful!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Beer Wars...

A couple of posts ago I talked about beer. I also recently watched a film called Beer Wars. It looked at the whole world of beer in the North American market place, mainly in the US and how there are big time breweries who monopolize the industry like Aneheuser Busch, Coors etc. Basically American bars and liquor stores are inundated with the wares of the big breweries that are cheap, flavorless products and the small time craft brewer, making a higher quality, varied product that costs more, doesn't get the same face time in stores or in the marketplace in general. This means, the consumer doesn't really have the choice, that they should have of items that are actually being produced. As well, it means the smaller breweries are struggling because they can't sell as much on the market. I have to agree with this, same thing is happening here in Canada, there is Labbat's and there is Molson's etc. and a lot of the smaller breweries are trying to get their products out there too but it's super hard to compete in the same arena as these giants who have a lot of money to pump out a lot of mediocre beer. I am not drawn to these big brewery products nor do I think I ever will be now that I've experience the fine import and micro-brewery beverages that if you really want to enjoy, you should seek out my friends! It's really worth the effort and the extra cash for the better quality beer! As well, with less purchasing of these big brewery brews, they have less of the market share, which in my opinion is even better! I say if you care about beer, see this documentary, it's very eye-opening!

No comments:

Post a Comment