The culinary traveller

The culinary traveller
Enjoying a beavertail...the official treat of Canada's capital city!!!

Welcome to my blog all you food and wine lovers!!!!

Ottawa isn't always the first place people think of when it comes to good eats and tempting beverages....they are wrong!!! I've been told by many people I have a great palete and true sense of curiosity, adventure and passion for food. Join me on my culinary travels around this city, to find the best places to eat including the real hidden gems to explore on the food front that the Nation's capital has to offer!!! I am very honest in my opinion on food experiences and open to comments from the peanut gallery out there on what other people love as well. Please enjoy!!! I hope this information is helpful!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Toronto and Beer Tasting

I was away this past weekend to Toronto and I must say it was a great trip! I saw a few old friends and returned to some of my old haunts. This trip I sampled a variety of beer while there and it seems that the products from the Mill St. brewery have really taken over the city. This local T.O. microbrewery just won Canadian brewery of the year, as noted on their website and also listed on their upcoming events section, plans to be in Ottawa this summer, offering their selections at Bluesfest. Friends were really interested in the beers from this brewery and it was readily available in pubs and in a wide assortment at the local LCBO in Toronto. I tried the tank house ale and the new lemon tea beer. I must say though the later didn't taste all that lemony. I was expecting a similar taste to all the lime infused light beers out there, but this was much more subtle.

One of the tastier summer fruity beers I did try was the Lambic framboise, raspberry beer. It was delicious period. It's a Belgian beer need I say more, they know how to brew! Kronenbourg 1664 was another light summery beer I tried, now this one was the last of my beer sampling for one evening, so maybe it was all going to my head a little bit by then, but this beer was too fruity and over the top for my taste buds, it was like it had been infused with malibu rum or something....with a strong taste of tropical fruits like coconut and pineapple and as a result didn't go down smooth in my opinion.

Of course there are the regular beers that I always turn to each year in the summer time for their refreshingly crisp, fruity taste. Hoegaarden, always tops that list with a slice of lemon.

Like all those in the know on beer in Ottawa, I do enjoy frequenting Pub Italia to sample their vast beer selection and of course enjoy the great atmosphere like being inside a mid-evil chapel! I'm sure I'll be making a trip to their patio soon, before the summer is through. This is where I often get adventurous and try a new beer....or two each visit!

For me beer is seasonal, there are just certain beers that hit the spot in summer but aren't really a draw in winter. I noticed a gentlemen at the LCBO this week eyeing up the St. Peter's organic....now that is a heavy full bodied winter beer if I've ever tasted one....put it back on the shelf my friend and lighten up...It's the summer time after all...which is short lived in this fair city so enjoy the summer brews while you have the chance! That's it for my summer beer post and cheers to all as the thermometer reaches 30 degrees in the next few days!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment