The culinary traveller

The culinary traveller
Enjoying a beavertail...the official treat of Canada's capital city!!!

Welcome to my blog all you food and wine lovers!!!!

Ottawa isn't always the first place people think of when it comes to good eats and tempting beverages....they are wrong!!! I've been told by many people I have a great palete and true sense of curiosity, adventure and passion for food. Join me on my culinary travels around this city, to find the best places to eat including the real hidden gems to explore on the food front that the Nation's capital has to offer!!! I am very honest in my opinion on food experiences and open to comments from the peanut gallery out there on what other people love as well. Please enjoy!!! I hope this information is helpful!

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sandwiches...still thinking about sandwiches....

And when I think of them...another great place comes to mind, Direnzo's!!!!!! Now, there are two locations, one near Preston St. in little Italy and another, out in Nepean. But for me it's the original old school Italian deli version in Little Italy, that I'm drawn too.

There is a system to order when you get there, go to the back and pick out a beverage from the cooler first, I'd suggest the lemon flavoured san pellagrino. Then line up at the counter and select a sandwich off the board, that lists the options. They will let you create your own version as well. I'm big on the combo of Italian meats like salami, capricolla, mortadello etc. All sandwiches are made with fresh sliced deli meats and cheeses and a selection of toppings including more unusual ones like pickled eggplant and

Giardiniera.

Choose from classic dressings like mayo, mustard or a drizzle of olive oil. Then move on up to the cash and the big surprise when you go to pay is...it's cheap! I have to say I love good food at a good price.

Once you've been there a few times, the staff recognize you and treat you like family. That kinda of welcoming neighbourly service is also very appealing. They wrap up your sandwich to go (there are no seats in the place), but that is fine by me because you can take your sandwich to a park or over to dow's lake in the summer and it turns into an instant picnic.

Bring a friend along with you and you're are all set to turn it into a real outting! You have to check these sandwiches out if you haven't already...Direnzo's in Ottawa is a staple...and no secret in this city to a true sandwich lover!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment